Early Years Foundation Stage: Reception
Our Reception Curriculum
We believe the curriculum for these Early Learning stages should underpin all future learning by supporting, fostering, promoting and allowing children to develop in the following ways:
Personal, Social & Emotional Development: Making Relationships, Self-confidence and Self- Awareness, Managing feelings and behaviour.
- We support children’s transition between Early Years Nursery and Reception classes.
- We promote an inclusive ethos and allow each child to become a valued and enthusiastic member of that group and community.
- A strong self-image and self-esteem are promoted in order that the children become successful learners.
- We create opportunities that enable each child to learn how to co-operate and work harmoniously alongside each other.
- Physical Development: Moving and Handling, Health and Self-care
- Our planning allows our children to develop and practice their fine and gross motor skills and to increase their understanding of how their bodies work and what they need to do to be healthy and safe.
Communication and Language:
Listening and Attention, Understanding, Speaking:
There are opportunities for all children to talk and communicate in a wide range of situations.
- Our children respond to adults and to each other, practicing and extending their range of vocabulary and communication skills and listening carefully.
Reading and Writing
Our phonics activities are underpinned by Letters and Sounds, with opportunities to use the Jolly Phonics actions. We teach our letters with the “flick” at the end. When children learn the digraph sounds e.g. ch, sh, th, ng, we teach these with a join.
- We construct opportunities for our children to explore, enjoy, learn about and use sounds, words and text in a broad range of contexts, and to experience a rich variety of books.
We provide opportunities for all children to develop their understanding of numbers, measurements, patterns, shapes and spaces by providing a broad range of contexts in which they can explore, enjoy, learn, practice and talk about them.
Understanding the World: The World, People and Communities, Technology
Every day there are opportunities for all children to solve problems, make decisions, experiment, predict, plan and question in a variety of contexts, and to explore and find out about their environment and people and places that have significance in their lives.
Expressive Arts and Design
We create opportunities for children to explore and share their thoughts, ideas and feelings through a variety of art, design and technology, music, movement, dance and imaginative and role play activities.